The property now occupied by The Scottish Rite Club of Hamilton was acquired by James Mills in 1816. The frame farmhouse originally built by the Mills family in 1820 was replaced by a brick home in 1820 known as “The Homestead”. The Homestead stood exactly where the Cathedral portion of The Scottish Rite building now stands. In 1884, the property was acquired by George E. Tuckett of the Tuckett Tobacco Company. Tuckett built his home, known as “Myrtle Hall”, where the Grand Lodge building now stands. Myrtle Hall survived until the late 1950s, when it was demolished to make way for the current structure.
In 1895, George T. Tuckett, the son of George E. Tuckett, built his own family home. Known as “The Towers,” it was designed by Hamilton architect James Balfour. The Towers now forms the Club portion of The Scottish Rite building. The magnificent woodwork in the club was done by John Hoodless and Sons, a prominent furniture manufacturer in Hamilton at the time. Hoodless also built the incredible Tuckett Family dining room table, which was custom built for the dining room in which it still sits.
George T. Tuckett passed away in 1913. The property was used as a military headquarters and hospital during World War One, and was then acquired by The Scottish Rite Masons in 1920. The Cathedral portion of the building was built over the winter of 1922 to 1923, and was designed by the firm of Osgood and Osgood from Grand Rapids, Michigan. There is an interior twin to the Cathedral in Bay City, Michigan.
The beautiful Casavant Frères pipe organ in the Cathedral was installed with the opening of the building in 1923. This instrument has over 3000 pipes and is still used on a regular basis. It carries Casavant builder’s number 972. There is a set of 55 backdrops in the stage area of the Cathedral. These were acquired in 1923 and are now over 100 years old.